Tuesday 9 December 2014

Robots Homework Assignment

For this homework assignment, we had to design three different robots. I designed three robots that were each inspired by different concepts from science fiction media. 


As I have little experience with actual character design, I had very little developmental process when designing these robots. I drew them straight away and based them on concepts and themes I remember from films/games that I had already seen.

-------------------


This was my first design. It was a relatively quick sketch, and there was no real thought behind the design. It is primarily inspired by Master Chief's armor from Halo. I wanted this design to look like a large, powerful super-soldier. This is the most 'futuristic' of the three designs I completed, as the design is sleek, with lots of angles and curves that are purely for the sake of aesthetics, rather than being anything functional.

-------------------


This was my second design. This design is inspired by robots in Elysium, and the Spectres from Titanfall. Unlike my first design, this one is supposed to be a more realistic depiction of a robot. I have left various robotic mechanisms visible, so the player would get some degree of explanation as to how it moves it's articulated body.

-------------------



This is my third design. It is mainly inspired by two 1980's action films, The Terminator and Robocop. It is also, in part, an evolution of my second design with regards to the visible robotic mechanisms, only with a more stylized design. 

This design is a police robot in a dystopian future similar to the one in Blade Runner, and the design is supposed to reflect the world it was created in. In Blade Runner, the technology and mechanics of the world have become a visible part of the city's excessively detailed architecture. A similar concept is also reflected in the design of the T-800 from The Terminator. I have tried to mimic this idea in my own design, by making the ample number of robotic mechanisms clearly visible. I have also specifically chosen to make sure that the design has no elements resembling a face, as it is meant to represent the type of faceless oppressive government that exists within the world. The helmet design is supposed to reference an American police motorcycle helmet, as it is part of the somewhat iconic image of an American police motorcycle officer, and can be seen being worn by the T-1000/Robert Patrick in Terminator 2.

-------------------

With this assignment, I believe I haven't carried out enough research in order to inform my designs. I also made the error of erasing a lot of drawings that I had begun and started again, as they were designs that were going in a direction I didn't like. They were more experimental sketches, and even though they were relatively random and uninformed, not being able to see them now makes it seem as though I had no process whatsoever when designing these robots. This is true to some extent, but not to the extent that appears here.

I have also not even attempted colour. I find it extremely difficult to work in colour, as I have little experience working with it before, especially when it comes creating images not directly from reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment