Thursday 10 December 2015

Games Art - Creating Textures: Part 1

As I wanted to adhere as close as possible to the actual Boba Fett costume (Empire Strikes Back version), I have chosen to recreate the actual scratches that were painted onto the original props.


In order to do this, I would trace all the different layers of paint/weathering from various reference images, and then try and morph them into place on my own model's UVs.


After recreating masks of the front-left part of the helmet, I realised that this process would take an extremely long time, and it was also difficult to find reference at a high enough resolution for all parts of the model.


However, I had found the somebody online had already created an accurate template of every layer of paint on the helmet. If I was able to use this template, it would save a lot of time. I emailed the creator asking if I could use the templates 


Since he said yes, I then morphed his template to my own UV's. This meant I could use them as color IDs in Quixel.

Color IDs from Bandi Levante's Boba Fett helmet templates.


Here is a link to his forum post where I found the templates:





No comments:

Post a Comment